Searching for a rapid covid test in Quebec..............

 






Yes today is the day that Quebec issues rapid covid tests at pharmacies for the first time. Yay! I jump out of bed at 7.30 and dash to my local Jean Coutu for my kit.  It'll be nice to offer reassurance to the in-laws that we have tested negative before we sit down to our covid-reduced Christmas dinner. I reckon 8am opening time makes sense. Lots of other people thought the same and all were questioning a poor young girl who had to stand inside the store and say they hadn't arrived yet. No, they have no idea when they will arrive today. I eavesdrop conversations of frustrated customers. "I need it to go away for the holidays. No, I'm not going far - only to Nova Scotia"' says one.

Pointlessly waiting outside Pharmaprix.

I head up Monkland Avenue and see a long line outside of another pharmacy. Like in the soviet era I join it without fully knowing what it is for. I mean why wouldn't you queue in -14C? This is Quebec after all. We people at the back of the queue realise we're not sure we're going to get anything so I head up to the front of the line and ask the member of staff who emerges from the warm cocoon of the store, smiling. "Oh no, unless you have a special coupon you will not get a kit," he grins.

It turns out all the special coupons were given out earlier and so (don't shoot the messenger) I head to the back of the line and tell about 30 people waiting needlessly that they are waiting needlessly. "Thanks for letting us know," they mutter as they head off into the cold. Pharmaprix do you think you could have put up a sign - no kit without a coupon?  Actually, don't worry, I did your job for you.

Covid means my favourite deli (Maitre Boucher) is not open until 9 so I find myself on the street with nothing to do. I head to Melk, an independent coffee shop where I can warm up and wait in comfort. There's a woman in line holding her rapid test covid kit. She's clearly showing off.  I order my americano. "For take out?" asks the assistant? "Oh no I'll sit in please", I say. "You can't sit in-  we have no tables".

I look around and see another woman sitting in the window enjoying her coffee is the only customer. I leave. The rest of the tables have chairs on them (covid restrictions again).

Covid means take-out only.

Rapid covid testing kits have been in pharmacies for months in some countries but we Quebeckers are pretty excited they're here. Well they're not really here. Jean Coutu is getting 108 today but cannot say when. There will be 108 delivered every day but the timing is a mystery. The girl at the door is looking really pissed off now and it's only 9am! I shake my head at her to enquire whether they are in yet. She barely has the energy to return the shake she is so fed up. As I walk up and down waiting for the deli to open I spot a truck outside the pharmacy. I ask the driver if he is delivering the test kits but alas no.

Delivery truck but not rapid tests

I get the feeling this is not my day. As I enter the deli and push down on the sanitiser bottle it sprays all over my coat and scarf. At least I saw a pretty sunrise this morning at an unusually early hour for me and tomorrow is another day...............







Comments

Popular Posts